Colorado 4-H Project e-Record Selector
Project Resources » General / Natural Resources Projects » Horseless Horse Project
4-H Horseless Horse Project
The horseless horse program is designed for 4-H members interested in learning about horses but that do not own or lease their own. All four units focus on life skill learning and can be easily transferred to the horse project, should a member purchase a horse.
Step 3: Select Your Project
Unit 1---Making Horse Sense
- Learn basic coat colors, breeds and anatomy
- Explore horse behaviors
- Understand grooming and safety concerns
Unit 2---Hooves, Health & Horsemanship
- Learn about horse conformation and movement
- Study horse health, unsoundness and blemishes
- Discuss tack and training aids
- Explore the realities of horse ownership
Unit 3---Breaking Ground
- Understand horse teeth and feeding requirements
- Discover horse health issues.
- Learn about horse judging, riding aids and basic equitation
- Develop leadership skills while helping others.
Unit 4---Brushing Up On Horses
- Understand parasites, the digestive tract and how to balance rations
- Discuss horse reproduction
- Learn about advanced movements and showmanship
- Understand basic equine, pasture and housing management skills
- Explore ethics related to the horse industry
The items listed below are your project record requirements. Select each in turn to access a Word Document. Once you have your document, please save it to your hard drive or other media before entering information.
- Colorado 4-H Horseless Horse Tip Sheet
- 4-H Project E-Record for Family/Consumer Science and General Projects
- Colorado 4-H Horseless Horse Curriculum
Colorado State Fair and Local County Fair Exhibit Requirements:
All exhibits will consist of the following:
- The Horseless Horse Unit Manual completed and e-record presented in a sturdy binder/notebook.
- A display board illustrating a topic investigated during the project year. The standardized display board size 4' x 3' is to be used for 4-H projects.
- No additional items may be included on or in front of the display board.
- Project will be evaluated on the quality of information completed in the manual and e-record (25 percent) and quality of exhibit (75 percent).
- Colorado 4-H Horseless Horse Judging Sheet
[ Unit 1 ] [ Unit 2 ] [ Unit 3 ] [ Unit 4 ]
- Colorado 4-H Display Tip and Hints